XL Application 2017
Because of the responsibility that the XLs have in working with the Hands, we will be primarily selecting from candidates who will be 17 or older when the Summer Program starts in July. We believe that this will provide an even better experience for the Hands, and make the XL dialogue more significant. The application deadline is February 11, 2017, and applications received after this date will not be accepted. We look forward to many great applications!
The fee to participant in Hands of Peace is $900 for Middle Eastern participants (this fee includes airfare) and $1,200 for US participants. A non-refundable deposit of $400 is due at the time of acceptance, with the remainder due at the May/June orientation. This fee may be reduced in the case of financial need, and Hands of Peace strongly encourages applications from individuals from low-income families. Requests for financial assistance should be made directly to the Executive Director via email at email@example.com at the time of acceptance into the program. Any extra fees incurred due to a change in the participant’s plans will be the responsibility of the participant and his/her guardians. Participants must be available for all program activities on each day of the program. Please save a copy of your completed application and your essay on your own computer in case there is a problem with the online submission. You will receive an email confirmation after you submit your application, but please make sure you enter your correct email address and the correct email address of your parents.
We are excited that you are applying to be an XL for the Hands of Peace Summer Program, which will take place July 12 - 31, 2017. The major roles and responsibilities of the XLs are:
- To support the mission and goals of HOP.
- To help, encourage, care about and support all participants from all delegations without preference or favor.
- To support the staff and leadership in providing the best possible experience for everyone.
- To help plan and implement activities for the Hands.
- To be a role model for the Hands, demonstrating and encouraging inclusiveness, cooperation and involvement, even in moments of high emotional tension or general rowdiness.
- To participate actively in XL dialogues and training, working together with each other to achieve personal and collective goals.
- To show strong commitment to HOP throughout the year—both before and after their summer as XLs—by attending Alumni Club meetings and seminars, participating in the listserv, and working with other alumni in planning HOP-related activities in one’s home community.
The XL applications will be reviewed and XLs chosen by the XL Selection Committee. The XL Selection Committee will make their decisions by consensus and will aim for diversity in the delegation as a whole in terms of nationality, religion and gender. Final decisions will be communicated by the Executive Director.
The following criteria will be used in evaluating XL applicants:
1. Successful completion of HOP Summer Program, online XL application and/or interview with HOP staff member.
2. Adherence to HOP policies and procedures.
3. Active involvement in HOP activities following completion of the Summer Program (SP), including attendance at Alumni Club meetings and events
4. Constructive participation on the listserv and other communication and/or networking media.
5. A willingness to speak on behalf of Hands of Peace at promotional, recruitment, or fundraising presentations.
6. Demonstrated efforts to help recruit participants and encourage supporters.
7. Consistent responsiveness to communications and/or requests from HOP participants, supporters or leadership.
9. Feedback from appropriate HOP staff and volunteers.
10. Potential for continued growth and future involvement in HOP and related activities.
11. Demonstrated ability to engage in conflict discussions in a respectful manner.
12. Willingness to interact/assist with members of all delegations.
13. Demonstration of an ability to be an appropriate role model in terms of reliability, leadership and a mature approach to problem-solving.
14. Good English skills.
XLs will also need a valid passport and visa for travel to the United States. The program fee does not cover any expenses associated with obtaining these necessary documents, but we do assist with the visa application process. Parental permission will be indicated by signing program waiver form (distributed at pre-program orientation in Jerusalem). If accepted, you must travel with the HOP delegation according to the arrangements made for the group.
- Complete the application form online by clicking the link below. If you do not receive a confirmation email within two weeks, please contact Roy Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must have a valid email address to apply. A confirmation email will be sent to this address after you submit your application online. If you do not receive a confirmation email within two weeks, please send an email to XL Director Roy Gordon at email@example.com.
- XL applicants are required to submit a brief video of themselves, sharing why they want to be an XL and what they will bring to the program. You may send the video via Google Drive or Dropbox to Wayne Rhodes at firstname.lastname@example.org or post the video on YouTube and send the link to Wayne.
You may be contacted for an interview within the next several months by a staff member.